Friday, May 13, 2011

City Sunday

After such a busy week, which included all of Saturday, there was very little incentive to make big plans for the weekend, so D and I decided we'd go spend Sunday at the Park Explora which is a hands on science museum with an aquarium, lots of reptiles and all sorts of cool toys.  Since it was mother's day we didn't expect the place to be too packed, as most people spend time at home or in the country for this particular holiday.  So, we had a lazy morning with a yummy brunch before catching a taxi across the river.

I had had the luxury of a brief tour of the building a few days before when my boss (who designed the place) took us through the back door so that our conference guest could get a feel for the place.  However, that had only really served to wet my appetite even more as we scampered quickly through a couple exhibits and back out the front door.  This time around I was determined to enjoy everything the place had to offer.

The first discovery, situated in the upper plaza, was pretty sweet:
Take a real close look at that photo...what appears to be nonsensical swirls in a vaguely artistic pattern reflects into familiar faces on the vertical metal pole in the center.  Like I said, pretty sweet!

All around the front of the museum are various little things to entice people and give children a place to play.  This means that the square is always full of people.
We skipped excitedly down the ramp to the ticket booth, anticipating an entertaining afternoon.  Only, when we got there, all the windows were closed and the guard kindly informed us that the place was closed for maintenance today.  =(

Quite shaken but determined not to be let down, we crossed to the street to see if maybe we could snag a show at the planetarium.  Also closed.  =( 

But, the scene out front was rather priceless.

Bummed to miss the museums, but equipped with a picnic lunch, we retired to the botanical gardens for a more mellow afternoon.  As we were enjoying our food beside the lake, we heard a bit of a commotion and suddenly saw the tree above us begin to shake.  Apparently we had an uninvited, but adorably cute guest.

 This little guy, who was no more than a foot long, hung out for a good ten minutes before the screaming children finally scared him off.  As we were left in peace to finish our meal, I heard a few notes that sounded as though there might be a concert occurring in the Orchidrama, so we finished up, bought some kettle corn and headed in.  We were not disappointed.  Not only was there a concert, but it was a chamber music group performing Tango music with various invited guests.

Now, I know the picture doesn't do them justice, so I very diligently recorded an entire song in order to share with all of you.  Unfortunately, I recorded in a format that my computer does not currently recognize, so due to technical difficulties, you're'll just gonna have to use your imagination for now.  Hopefully I'll sort that issue out soon so I can share properly.

However, after being thoroughly disappointed by the closure of the Park Explora, we ended up spending an incredibly enjoyable afternoon lazing about the gardens listening to excellent music.  Gotta say, I really love this city!

Oh, and on the way out...I stopped by to use the bathroom and was shocked to discover it happened to be one of the coolest, most beautiful restrooms I have ever come across.

No comments:

Post a Comment