Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Dance Festivities - Week 02

After a week's respite, during which I took the opportunity to get out climbing at La Mojarra, the dance festivities were set to recommence.  This week was the 3rd annual Colombia Salsa Festival, the winners of which would variously be invited to Las Vegas and Dubai for different international competitions.  The festival ran all weekend, but required paying for entrance, so I elected to only attend one night.  The other night I simply went out and salsa-ed up a storm in celebration. Well, I thought I'd been salsa-ing up a storm until I saw these performances.  Once again, all I can really say is wow.

These guys were not only incredibly dancers, but phenomenal athletes as well!  They did more flips, throws, turns and crazy death-defying feats of gymnastics than you typically see at a Superbowl halftime show!


In addition, Colombia has a particular style of Salsa that involves some amazingly rapid foot movements.  Not sure of the origins of this particular aspect of the dance, but the outcome is a rather astounding athleticism incorporated into the rapid beats.


As far as I'm concerned, all 15 of the couples were mind-blowing.  So, if you haven't had enough just yet, here're a few more videos to keep you happy.




Once all the couples had performed (we missed the kids portion, but I'm sure that was amazing as well), the groups took the stage and upped the anti.  Theses performances exuded so much energy you could literally feeling it wafting over the audience in waves.





Luckily, part of the program included live music and an open dance floor.  As soon as the VIP barriers were moved aside, anyone who wanted to could enjoy the music as all salsa music is designed to be enjoyed; from a standing, gyrating position in the middle of the dance floor.  Despite clearly being the least advanced individuals out there, we took full advantage of this unique opportunity and danced till they closed it down and a started handing out medals.

Man, do I love this city!

No comments:

Post a Comment