Thursday, March 17, 2011

Culture of Caring...and Conversation

Looking back over my posts, I realized I haven't said much about the people and the culture here in Medellin. As I haven't even been here a full 2 weeks just yet, I'm not sure how valuable my opinion is, but first impressions count for a lot, so here goes...

Colombia is one of the most heartwarming places I have ever visited. So far, everyone I've met has been incredibly open and caring. From the moment I arrived, without exception, every person I've been introduced to has ended our first conversation by telling me that if I need anything at all, to please let them know. This may just be a courtesy, but it doesn't feel that way. In fact, I've been amazed by how genuine and warm my interactions have been. Having traveled a lot, I'm used to being received with mild curiosity, but this is different. Even when interacting with each other, people here seem to be genuinely interested in the actions, health and happiness of those around them. On top of that, most people seem to be intensely honest and straightforward (if a bit wordy). This has been true in not only my personal interactions, but it's something I've noticed in my professional world as well. In all the meetings I've been to everyone has been treated as an equal and no addition to the conversation has ever been brushed aside. On the contrary, all suggestions and commentary are taken quite seriously and are always given equally careful thought.

A lot of these impressions may have to do with the fact the I've been moving in some of the best educated and wealthiest circles in the city, but I get the feeling there's an overall culture of courtesy here. Whether talking to a taxi driver or a merchant or a coworker, everyone speaks politely and listens intently. In fact, I'm beginning to understand that talking is a big part of the social scene here. On Sunday I accompanied my housemate to a friend of hers and we ended up sitting around just chatting for the better part of 5 hours. In meetings there is always a period of courteous chit chatting before any real business begins and the comments in our conference this week were not exactly curt by any stretch of the imagination.

In addition to providing me with ample opportunity to improve my Spanish, I have been thoroughly enjoying learning about what makes life here both different and similar to other parts of the world.

That's all for now folks. Off on an adventure this weekend, but will be sure to write again at the next available opportunity!

No comments:

Post a Comment